Monday, March 16, 2009

Hilla Beans Burgers


I feel like I'm just biding my time until winter finally slips away, and leaves a bright and lovely Spring in its wake. It's upon us, I know it is. Spring is so close, I can almost smell it. But for now, Winter's bare branches dominate the landscape and a similar gray austerity has rooted itself within me. It's nothing that some gorgeous sunshine, saturated color, and vital flavor won't banish...When? When? When can I stuff my heavy gray peacoat into the closet not to see it again until the moths have had their fill? When will I take my last bite of this season's fruit? I am ready already!
Of course all these beckoning words don't amount to a hill of beans, which was the theme of tonight's dinner: "Hilla Beans Burgers". They were surprisingly tasty, and would have been really healthy if I didn't have my head stuck in the storm clouds while preparing them, when I completely forgot to saute the chopped onion and garlic before forming the patties. Instead I had to fry the patties whole, next time I'll remember to saute the vegs then I'll broil up the patties- perhaps on the grill for our inaugural barbecue...Hope springs eternal.

Hilla Beans Burgers
Empty two cans of drained pinto beans in a large bowl, with a potato masher or fork, mash beans up. Mix in one finely chopped onion and 1-2 cloves of minced garlic. Finely chop 1 cup mushrooms, and add mushrooms into bean mixture. Then stir in 1/2-3/4 c. salsa or taco sauce, one beaten egg, and 1/2 c. crushed crackers or fresh bread crumbs. Shape mixture into patties and cook in skillet in veg oil, until patties golden in color (for healthier alternative see above).

No comments: