Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring Fare


Alas, spring has sprung in our little corner of the world. To celebrate we had a few people over for lunch yesterday. I couldn't stop myself from the picnic theme the beautiful day dictated. I laid out my red-checked tablecloths, prepared a few batches of fried chicken, a bowl of za'atar spiced potato salad (with homemade garlic aioli), and served pitchers of lemonade. As a starter I made my favorite egg salad, served it alongside plates of pickles and olives and hummos. For dessert? Brownies and choc chip cookies of course.

Favorite Egg Salad (adapted from Fine Cooking magazine)
Boil 9 eggs until hard cooked. When ready peel and place in a med. bowl. With a potato masher chop up eggs (or with knife chop them finely). Then add 4-6 oz. smoked salmon cut to a small dice, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. chopped dill or chives, 1/2 red onion diced, 3 tbsp. drained capers, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tbsp. dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently, serve on bed of lettuce or cocktail bread or toasted pita chips.

No comments: