Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pity Party Table For One

Welcome to my pity party. On the menu -sour grapes and spilt milk. "Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda" is playing on an endless loop. I feel a migraine coming on, and tonight's dinner is definitely at risk. My Fall Pasta article is due tomorrow, but I'm thinking why bother? Does anyone actually read it, let alone try the recipes? Is there anyone out there at all, or am I just a figment of my own imagination? I should "market myself", take advantage of the "new media"; tweet and friend and text, I guess it's the old curmudgeon in me that just thinks that stuff is frivolous and dumb- and not to mention, hard to work out.
Blaming the world is a very easy option and somewhat enjoyable in a bittertart kinda way, but the real truth is obvious. It's me. It's my procrastination and disorganization. It's my way of avoiding the time consuming and hard work. It's my lack of focus. It's my self consciousness. It's my injured sense of"what about me?". Someone with something to really say or offer just pushes through and says it or offers it in the most effective way they know.

Brussels Sprouts and Sausage Pasta
1 lb. brussels sprouts
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. sausages, cut into 1" pieces
1 c. veg stock
1 lb. pasta
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper, optional

Rinse and dry brussels sprouts, cut larger sprouts in half- steam or boil until they're bright green. In the meantime: heat olive oil in a skillet and cook garlic for a minute or until fragrant add sausages and brown (5-8 mins). Add steamed brussels sprouts to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, pour in vegetable stock and lower heat and cover for 5 minutes and half of the liquid is evaporated. While Sausage- Brussel Sprout combo is cooking, boil pasta 'til slightly al dente. Drain and toss with the pan's contents. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add red pepper for a spicy touch if desired.

No comments: