Monday, March 3, 2008

The icing on the cake

We were invited to a farewell dinner for friends who were setting sail for the distant shores of Boston. As usual I opened my big mouth and volunteered to make dessert that I swore would be ridiculously sublime. Not having the time or werewithal to concoct a "little something" from my favorite dessert cookbook, I had to think fast and easy. Chocolate is always popular, and dark chocolate is even better. I decided on a two layer chocolate cake, smothered in a wondeful semi-sweet frosting, that makes even a Betty Crocker cake mix taste gourmet. This icing is dark and glossy, and makes a layer cake look like it's straight out of a birthday party scene in a slick Hollywood production. You know what I'm talking about.

dark chocolate frosting
1 bag of dark or semi sweet choc. chips (I used ghirardelli)
1 container of cool whip (yes, cool whip) thawed

Place chips and cool whip in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 1 1/2- 2 minutes. Stir until mixture becomes smooth, dark, and glossy.

No comments: