Thursday, June 5, 2008

Save Me Salad


I've strayed from my fruits & veggies vow. I betrayed mother nature and her pure goodness for the first fluffy topped cupcake that beckoned. And, yes, it was sublime while it lasted, every bite was a celebration of sweet sinfulness. But after... after I felt empty and disgusting, and all that remained were the crumbs of regret. I will be better. I will repent tonight with a salad that contains fruit and vegetables and, because I can't completely forsake my true love, a touch of sugar.

Strawberry Orange Spinach Salad:
Heat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. In bowl mix 1/2 c. pecans with 1/4 c. maple syrup- until well coated. Spread on cookie sheet. Bake about 10 mins, until pecans (or walnuts) are toasted. Remove from oven, let cool for at least 15 mins.
In bowl, whisk together until blended 3 tbsp. orange juice, 2 - 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar, 1 tsp. walnut oil (or olive oil), 2-3 tsp. sugar. In large bowl toss 4-6 c. baby spinach, 1 c. halved strawberries , 11 oz. can of mandarin orange segments, and 4 chopped green onions. Pour dressing over, toss. Sprinkle with maple pecans.

No comments: