Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rice Crispy Treats In Heaven


Rice Crispy Treats. Wonderful, buttery, sweet, chewy. Marshmallows, butter, vanilla extract, rice crispies. Simple square American homespun joy. I am racked with junkfood guilt, but I just love 'em. You can legitimize them by using baking quality butter, expensive "artisan" marshmallows the kind you get at Williams Sonoma or hail!hail! Whole Foods, and interesting natural flavor extracts or essences (almond, vanilla, orange). But there's something so simple and good about the yummy, slumber party, back-of-the-box standard.
I think heaven is a huge, light-filled candy store/bakery, a good sized display is devoted to these rice crispy treats, they're next to the tollhouse chocolate chip cookies.

Rice Crispy Treats
Melt 3-4 tbsp. butter in a saucepan add packet of marshmallows. Mix vigorously until thick and fluffy, add 1 tsp. vanilla extract (or whichever you prefer). Remove from heat, mix in 3-4 c. rice crispy cereal. With a spatula sprayed with baking spray, tamp down rice crispy fluff into pan.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Rice Crispy treats are so good. I didn't grow up with them but I sure appreciate them now. I made a version last year from a cookbook that called for almond butter and brown rice syrup instead of the marshmallows. I was skeptical at first but boy was it good.

renaye said...

it's one of my all time fav snack! and it's not common in malaysia!

renaye, http://renaye.nutang.com