Monday, January 5, 2009

Eggsellent Idea


I have officially reached my celebration limit. My merriment allowance is maxed out. I want to set my spanx aflame, and chop my stiletto's off at the heel. Alcohol has made my skin look a bit like crumpled paper. And all that rich fatty (delicious) food makes me feel as though my insides are coated in sludge. Yes, it's high time for a holiday detox. I am dedicating myself to the goal of eight glasses of water a day, whole grains, and lean proteins, and lots of fresh fuits and veggies of course. I am going to excersise everyday.
Dinner tonight will kick off my new year's revelation of simple healthful dining. Still being in the throes of winter I need something warm and soulful- but light. The slider with fried onions was a bacchanal-by-the-bite. And the mini mooshoos, sweet 'n sour chicken, and beef satays at last night's wedding were almost worth the 3 pounds I've added to my frame. But now back to our regularly scheduled program: The tomato base in this easy skillet dinner were full of san marzano flavor and sun. Next time I'll add some chopped red peppers in with the onions and garlic. This is a great egg dish, because it's robust but not heavy or made fatty by cream, butter, or cheese (often popular egg companions). I placed it on top of toasted sourdough for the kiddles for a bit of a crunchy texture- but I had mine straight.

Skillet Eggs and Tomato Sauce
In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and add 1 chopped onion and 3 minced garlic cloves, cook until onion softens. Crush or chop 1 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes and add along with their juice to the skillet. Mix in 1 tsp. oregano and 1/2 tsp. parsley and a few good dashes of tabasco. Simmer for about 10 minutes until a little reduced. One by one, break 6-8 eggs into a ramekin and gently slide into skillet, cover and cook until whites are set, about 5 mins. Before serving, grind some pepper onto eggs.
Post Script 4/27: Tonight when making this dish I finely chopped a red pepper and threw it
into the skillet along with the onion and garlic. I served the fnished product with a good sprinkling of crumbled feta and a scattering of za'atar spices..... it was even better the second time around.

2 comments:

Apples and Butter said...

That is an eggsellent idea! I am feeling the need to detox as well and the health eating that still feels like warm comfort food is a great idea. Thanks!

Katie said...

Sounds perfect! I am big breakfast person (and I don't mind savory foods in morning) so I'm always on the lookout for recipes like this one.