Thursday, January 15, 2009

Frugality: The Next Big Thing

Pizza Night. And not a moment too soon.
Monday Night: Veggies and tofu in Thai peanut sauce (see previous post).
Tuesday: Turkey Chili.
Wednesday: Tuscan bean vegetable saute (delicious in flavor, gorgeous in color).
And now it's Thursday night a blessed occasion around here.
Thursday Night: semi-homemade pizza night.
In keeping with one of my several New Year's Resolutions I am trying to feed my family healthy and flavorful food. Also, responsible food, dishes that don't require too many complicated ingredients, ingredients that are seasonal and timely, and ingredients that are relatively inexpensive.
Am I right in feeling that a new frugality is sweeping the Land? I've heard the word "Depression" bandied around a few times too many to ignore. And from the accounts I've read from the 30's, the Depression was anything but great. Maybe this will be the return of good, simple fare that stretches a dollar as far as it will go? Casseroles, stews, protein filled salads and stir-fry's- but this time around made over to be leaner, less fatty, and more international in flavor. Frugale Cuisine.

2 comments:

Apples and Butter said...

If frugality means less processed food and more Victory Gardens and homemade food, I am all for it! Can I still drop money on beef loins and oysters?

Anonymous said...

I like to think I am pretty good about keeping my grocery bill down - its my hubby's trips to Sam's club that kill me - um, did we need King Crab legs??

They are tasty though!