Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Thanks


I love Thanksgiving. I love that there is a day set aside for everyone in this great land to celebrate, regardless of personal politics, religion, orientation. A day to come together and enjoy a good meal, a meal that is often a group effort. It is a day that promotes gratitude and thankfulness, an attitude that I try to keep going throughout the year, but often fall short on. There is so much to be grateful for, even when the day is gray and prospects feel bleak. When I was a teen, and living in Australia, I started a running list of things to be thankful for, it was after a particular trying day in salt mines of highschool. The idea was to focus on the good stuff. Back then I think Johnny Depp, the Beatles, and cornetto ice cream cones were on the top of that list.
On my revised and updated list of things to be thankful for I'd place the kiddles, Hub, my parents and brothers. Our good health and our good fortune is huge. My friends also deserve a shout out. And then of course there are things like good music and good food that really enhances the quality of life. I've been really enjoying Feist and Bach lately. I am totally grateful (and relieved) that I got a few nice-sized chocolate orders for this holiday season. The Kiddie Cooking Class is also something that I'm happy about- it allows the kooky cook in me some play time, and a few bucks to boot! And I'm grateful that I found a paper that will publish me, a dream I've had for a long time ever since those highschool days.
But beyond the personal and specific, I am thankful for the beautiful world we live in, and for the majority of people that inhabit it who are good. I am grateful for the seasons. I give thanks for living in this country and enjoying all the comforts, riches, freedom, and beauty that it offers. I am grateful that I am allowed to be me; in a different place and at a different time it would not be so easy.
OK so there's my Thanksgiving benediction. Now enough talking and lets start eating.

Pecan Fudge Pie
Preheat oven to 375F. In a saucepan over med. high heat combine 1/2 c. butter/marg and 1 c. packed brown sugar, stir until a thick amber syrup occurs. Add 1 c. chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, whisk in 2 beaten eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Once a thick chocolatey batter happens, add 1 1/2 c. chopped pecans. Spoon into prepared pie crust, smooth until even. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 mins.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Rachel,
I Hope you had a good thanksgiving celebration. The pie looks fantastic.
Cheers,
Alexa

Dances with Corgis said...

May I just say... I not only love your blog, but also your writing? It just shines right through how much you value your family and friends, and genuine connections. It appealed to me so much when I first perused this site!

Cheers :)
Courtney
(adds pecan fudge pie to her "to make" list)