Friday, March 19, 2010

Passover Prologue











I am in Passover denial, I am so deep in denial that I've only just begun to admit that I am in denial, which doesn't leave me much time to loiter and dawdle around before needing to spring into action. The irony of Passover which is so striking to me, especially in the days of preparation, is that it is a holiday that celebrates freedom. I'm not going to bother to whine and whinge or let loose a feminist diatribe, been there done that, and have a few nicknames to prove it. I think I've arrived at a realization that acceptance of certain duties and responsibilities is best done gracefully- with a good measure of individuality. Then it can actually be fun- kind of like an extreme cooking challlenge a la Top Chef: No flour, No warming starches such as pasta, rice, beans. Eight Days. Go!
My Mom and Dad, and one of my brothers will be staying with us for the first few days of the holiday and that will be great. Hub's Mom and Dad will also be Seder-ing with us, so it will be a full house- which is nice for a few days. I really need to consider what I'll be making and coming up with menu's. I'm going to allow some experimentation when it comes to dessert, I developed a few Passover dessert recipes for that March article and I can build upon them. Yesterday I had a peach that was part of a quartet that is a few days away from being perfect- I'll use the other three for a pie or crumble type of thing topped with the honey matzah farfel almond granola and baked until it's alternately soft and crunchy.
Chicken cutlets baked in a savory walnut coating? A rich and saucy meat lasagne, the matzah layers absorbing the juices from the sauces and meat , becoming soft and toothesome and almost pasta-like in texture. A casserole of crepes filled with a meditteranean type of salsa (black olives, sun dried tomato, fresh tomatoes, red onion and roasted garlic) and a thin crust of melted cheddar on top.
When life gives you Matzah, make a drool-worthy Matzah pizza.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is a kind of Iron Chef situation, isn't it? I think it's made worse by trying to make something look like it's made of flour (i.e., matza bagels) when all you're doing is eating a lump of rocks.

I'm sephardic, so I can do the rice and beans (really, my son would starve otherwise), but it looks like there have been some rulings about kitnyot in general http://www.thejc.com/news/israel-news/29929/rabbi-allow-beans-and-pulses-pesach. It can make a big difference in your meals.

Cheers!