Monday, April 21, 2008

Mom's Passover Apple Cake

We commemorated the Israelites leaving the land of Egypt, by leaving our land of responsibility, bills, and daily life for the sunny and starry climes of Los Angeles. My mom & dad live in LA and it's always nice to go for a visit. We all decided to convene at my folks for Passover '08, and by all I mean me, hubbabubba, kiddles and my three grown-up little brothers. It's interesting and fun when we all get together. Everyone comes with their strong personalities in tow, and after four glasses of wine, the conversation is always animated and loud. My mother went all out as usual, and basically cooked her way through an entire Passover Recipebook. There were a lot of traditional faves; she made an excellent matzo ball soup that was perfectly seasoned and wonderfully garlicky. The matzoballs were just the right texture and density- not too hard and heavy but not so light and fluffy either. Her apple cake was delicious and sigh-worthy in it's sheer yumminess. She also sets a gorgeous and colorful table, that makes the food taste even better. My mom is great.
I'm really trying to get into her kitchen and do some cooking for the final days of the holiday, but she wants me to "relax"- doesn't she know that cooking is relaxing, taking care of the kiddles is not. I've decided that the key to enjoying Passover cuisine and it's main component, Matzah, is to buy, make, or prepare different spreads, dips, and toppings that you can flavor a board of the stuff with. I'm in the midst of planning out my spreads, loving this yummy mummy apple cake all along the way.

Mom's Passover Apple Cake
Cream 1 c. margarine and 1 1/2 c. sugar. Then add 6 eggs 1 at a time, ensuring each one is mixed in before adding the next. Beat until the mixture is thick. Add 2 c. of cake meal and 2 tbsp. potato starch. Beat until smooth. Peel and cut into slices 3 lbs. of Granny Smith apples, place in seperate bowlsqueeze half a lemon over the cut apples. Add 3/4 c. of sugar mixed with 2 tsp. cinnamon, reserving 1-2 tbsp, toss sugar mixture into apple slices. Pour apples into a greased rectangular baking pan, Spread the batter on top. Sprinkle top with the reserved 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350F for about an hour or until top crust is set.

No comments: