Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ahi Tuna Salad Nicoise


As the weather becomes more temperate I invariably arrive at the point where I need to shed not only my dark winter layers but also my "cookies on the couch" layer of fat. Believe me I have no illusions or, rather, delusions of working a bikini like a Victoria's Secret model, but I know where I need to be in order to look good, for me, and I'm usually not there by early spring. So in order to move it along, I've put myself on a pseudo-diet/quasi work-out regime.
Tonight for dinner I made a ahi tuna salad nicoise, it isn't as fat-free as it should be, but it's good enough. "Good enough" is now my new motto. Why must we all break our necks trying to be the best at everything, when being good enough - is good enough. There are some things worth being a shining star at, and what they are is probably different for everyone. With everything else "good enough" is just fine.
This salad is better than good enough, it's really delicious, in a way that only the french can make a salad delicious. Go easy on the dressing, and it'll be good (enough) for you too.

Ahi Tuna Salad Nicoise
Grind black peppercorns and place on shallow dish, roll ahi tuna cubes in pepper. Sear tuna on each side, but do not over cook. the tuna should be a little raw in the center. Squeeze lemon over tuna cubes.
Lay out lettuce on a serving platter. Arrange in sections on platter blanched green beans (haricot verts), boiled and halved small red potatoes, roasted red pepper cut into strips, kalamata olives, 4-5 hard boiled eggs cut into halves, and seared ahi tuna. Optional: sprinkle 2-3 tbsp. capers over salad. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
dressing: whisk together juice of 1/2 a large lemon, 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp. dijon mustard, and 1 1/2 tbsp. honey. Whisk in 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil,. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: