Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hooray! Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps


I think that my foray to the Fancy Food Show had it's intended effect- I'm back in the kitchen. Giddy Up! A few weeks ago I had these amazing vegetarian lettuce wraps at a restaurant called Stir Crazy, and since then I've been craving this dish. The lettuce wraps I made last night for dinner were a combination of a bunch of recipes I found on the internet, along with a few personal improvisations. The reviews from the peanut gallery were favorable, so I'll certainly be making these again. I made a dipping sauce to go along with the wraps but you can probably do better with a purchased hoisin sauce or another of the myriad asian flavored sauces available at the market. Yeehaw! Life is spicy and tasty once again!

Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
sauce: 2 tsp. soy sauce, 2 tsp. sugar, 2 tsp. rice vinegar, a few dashes hot sauce. ( as with recipe in general, Increase/decrease measurements to taste)
In 2 tsp. sesame oil fry 1 container of cubed firm tofu until golden. Place tofu on paper towels and let cool. Meanwhile finely chop 4-5 green onions, mince 2 large garlic cloves and 1 tsp fresh ginger. Chop to pea size: 8 oz. mushrooms, 1/2 c. water chestnuts, 1 c. shredded carrots, 1 c. shredded cabbage. When tofu has cooled somewhat chop tofu to pea sized pieces. Add some more sesame oil to frying pan, place all of the veggies and tofu in and mix together. Pour sauce over and fold everything together and cook until vegetables are sufficiently heated through. Separate and wash individual leaves of an iceberg lettuce and spoon tofu veggie mixture into the center, fold over (like you would a burrito), enjoy!

No comments: