Monday, July 14, 2008

Judeo American Paella


I'm having chocolate for dinner tonight, but for everyone else there'll be paella. My version of paella is completely inauthentic. I don't have the special pan that gives this Spanish dish it's name. I don't use shrimp or any shellfish for that matter. However my recipe does use saffron and paprika, so I guess it's not totally divorced from the Spanish standard. It's the Judeo-American version, complete with southwestern spiced chicken sausages and diced tomatoes from a can. It's good in that real food kind of way- but my three course chocolate dinner will be better in that junk food kind of way (chocolate squares as a starter, chocolate ice cream for the main, and then as a finale some chocolate cake), but no one has to know that- other than you of course....

Paella
In a wide shallow saute pan heat 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add chicken sausages sliced into 1 " pieces to pan. Cook until sausages begin to brown. Add 1 chopped onion and 1 finely chopped red, yellow, or orange pepper, cook stirring often until onion is translucent 4-5 mins. Add 3 minced garlic cloves and 1 1/2 c. long grain rice, cook, stirring to coat, for about 2-3 mins. Mix in 1/2 tsp. saffron and 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and 2 1/2 c. chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and then cook until rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed - about 20 mins. Stir in 1 cup of thawed frozen peas. Cook an extra minute. Add a few dashes of hot sauce. Serve.

1 comment:

The Little Kahuna said...

Sounds good.

I'd call it "fusion" - my euphemistic word for all things delicious, but completely inauthentic.