Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Macaroni et Cheeze


Guilty Junk Food Confession #2: I really love Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. I know, I know it's filled to the hilt with ingredients that sound like they belong in science class. I know that a homemade mac 'n cheese recipe that starts off with a nice 'n creamy bechamel sauce is infinitely better- but I guess I have a taste for processed cheese product. Call it Patriotism.
Tonight's offering to the Table godlers is the better-for-you version of homemade mac 'n cheese. But it still has that sharp 'n cheezey appeal. I snuck in some wholewheat elbow macaroni, and used wholegrain breadcrumbs for it's finale. They love it, I do too, honestly I do.

Macaroni et Cheeze
Boil up one lb. (or a box) of elbow macaroni. In the meantime over med. high heat boil 1 c. milk (I used 2%), once boiling add 8oz. of cream cheese (I used reduced fat cream cheese) cut into cubes. Stir until melted into milk, lower heat to med. add between 3-4 c. of shredded cheddar, adding one handful at a time and mixing until melting after each addition. You should have a thick and cheesey sauce after all this stirring, mix in 1 tsp. ground mustard seed and 1 tsp. garlic & herb type seasoning mix (or garlic powder if you prefer). Stir sauce into prepared drained macaroni until macaroni is completely bathed in the cheddar sauce. Place into a baking dish. Combine in a small bowl 1/2 c. breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp. melted butter, and sprinkle top of macaroni and cheese. Bake in a 350F oven for about 15-20 mins.

No comments: