Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ring-a-DING Barbecue Meatballs


Today is not a good day. I backed my car smack into another car. My car has a nice sized dent in it, her car has a smaller dent-but a dent all the same. I am absolutely dreading telling Hubbabubba. It wouldn't be so bad if this hardly ever happened before- but, shamefully, it has happened a few times. I need to come up with a plan. Anyway you look at it, Hubbabubba will be downright pissed, especially since he spends a good amount of his life instructing me to always check my blindspot, my rear view mirror, as well as looking over my shoulder when pulling out. Yep, I'm in hot water.
Tonight's dinner will have to be good. It will have to involve some sort of animal protein. I don't think I can get away with telling him this latest bit of news over a tofu casserole or soy crumble lasagna. There will have to be meat and some sort of fried side. Before he gets home I'll actually put on some lipstick and dab some perfume behind my ears. Then with a sweet smile I'll serve him hearty meatballs in barbecue sauce with some fried onion rings on the side. I'll ask him how his day was, and listen to his response. I won't complain about anything. He'll enjoy his dinner and then I'll tell him. The best I can hope for is a frustrated Ricky Ricardo "Ohhh Lucy!" response. The worse part of it is that it was actually his car I was borrowing, it was his car I dinged. Maybe I can slip something into the meatballs? I think I have some percocet left over from my last c-section. That might make everything softer and duller. Truth is Hubbbabubba's a good guy and he really loves a good hearty meal so he might just chuckle and retire to the couch thinking: "Oh that Rachel! What a goofy gal..." Probably not- but maybe....

Meatballs in Barbecue Sauce
Place 2 lbs. ground beef in large bowl, add 1 slightly beaten egg, 1 envelope onion soup mix. Mix all ingredients together (I put ziploc bags on my hands, and get manual with my beef), until everything is incorporated. Heat 3 tbsp. vegetable oil in frying pan, roll meat mixture into 2" meatballs. Brown meatball in batches. Place on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
In a med. sized pot saute 1/2 c. of finely chopped onion in 1 tbsp. veg. oil. When onion is tender add 2 cans of tomato sauce, 2 tbsp. worcestshire sauce, 3 tbsp. cider vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Add seasonings to taste. Drop browned meatballs in sauce, cover and simmer for 25-30m mins.

No comments: