Thursday, March 20, 2008

Blank Canvas Pizza

Thursday evening- and I find myself contemplating pi again. Pizza pie that is. I am no longer ashamed to admit that pizza is among my all-time favorite foods. I think if I had a last supper it would definitely consist of some sort of gourmet pizza and a huge slab of the kind of chocolate cake you fantasize about when you're on a diet. But I digress... Tonight is Pizza Night, and I've decided to go semi-homemade with a pre-baked crust. I see this blank crust sort of like a blank canvas; a thick impasto layer of red sauce? An artful scattering of shredded white mozzarella? Dabs of tapenade? Slashes of roasted red peppers?
An old friend from my grungy granola college days, Kenzo, came to visit today. Her suggestion was spinach and mushrooms. Sounds great to me, but would be poison to the kiddles. Instead I went basic and simple and headache-free: Pizza sauce with thick slices of fresh mozzarella, olive oil, parmesan, and a dusting of oregano.

Pizza Night Pizza I
Preheat oven to 375F. Brush pizza crust with olive oil. Place pizza crust in oven for 5-10 mins. Remove from oven spread crust with 3/4 c.- 1 c. pizza sauce, thick slices (about 1/2") of fresh mozarella, 1/2 c. grated parmesan, 1/2 tsp. oregano, and a splash of olive oil. Bake for about 25-30 mins. until cheese is melted and crust is golden.

No comments: