Saturday, March 15, 2008

the sweet taste of freedom

It's not often that I get a whole saturday night to myself. I got one tonight, hubbabubba went off to some sporting event with his crones, kiddles mcViddles- all sleeping in varying degrees of soundness, and here I am with nothing but a long and blank evening canvas before me- YIPPEE! What to do? What to do? The possibilities are limitless...
First things first, I'm hungry. I haven't really eaten anything all day, certainly nothing satisfying. I don't even really know what I want, I think insipidly as I stare into the fridge. But then I see it- Brie! A big Costco sized wheel of it. Brie and a beautiful, firm, unblemished golden delicious apple. Finally a chance to make my favorite cafe sandwich at home; toasted brie with apples and cinnamon on a baguette. I am almost giddy with the knowledge that no one will be asking me for a bite or to make one for them.
Next time I'll sprinkle some lemon juice on the apples while they're in the hot butter bath, but not bad. It might be the temporary freedom that I'm tasting.

cinnamon apple brie sandwich
Peel, core, slice an apple. Melt 1 1/2 tbsp. butter in skillet. Add apple slices to butter add sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar. Sautee until the apples are tender and well coated. Slice brie as you prefer and place on bread roll, baguette or ciabatta, layer the apple slices on top. Wrap in foil paper and leave in warmed oven until the brie reaches the level of melt-iness you like.

No comments: