Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Soy Carumbles Mexican Lasagne

I'm a borderline vegetarian. It has little to do with ideology and dogma and everything to do with my love of beans, soy, and cheese (as well as an uncomfortable sluggishness I feel after eating meat). I am always trying to create dishes that incorporate all or at least a couple of these ingredients. Sometimes it works- other times....not so much.
Tonight I threw together a tortilla lasagne, which happily and harmoniously melded my three favorite ingredients. I love Morningstar Farms soy crumbles for a multitude of reasons, let me count the ways; it's low fat, high flavor, and tastes convincingly of ground beef without the health food aftertaste. It gives a vegetarian dish heft, that even a card carrying carnivore like my hubbabubba can't deny. And in this towering tortilla lasagne it fits right in with the taco sauce, refried beans, and extra sharp cheddar. Add guacamole and sour cream on the side and you have a delicious and flavorful Mexican-style meal.

Soy Carumbles Mexican Lasagne
Heat soy crumbles in skillet with 8 oz. jar of taco sauce, stirring until mixed well. Add a small can of diced green chilis. Remove from heat. Combine can of refried beans to about a cup of shredded cheddar. In a glass pie dish layer flour tortillas spread alternately with soy crumbles mixture and then refried bean mixture. Top final layer with some salsa a healthy sprinkling of cheese and if desired a small can of black olive rings. Place in oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minuts.

No comments: