Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Night Aglio Olio

Here's to slow and lazy sundays and the meals that they inspire. Hubbabubba went fishing, leaving me with the Kiddles McViddles. I let them watch more T.V. than was probably necessary, I watched more T.V. than was probably necessary. We stayed in our PJ's until well past lunch. The kitchen got incrementally messier what with breakfast, mid-morning snack, dinosaur egg excavation, water painting, lunchtime, etc. etc. So when 5:00 rolled around I was ready to declare Pizza Night part deux. But after taking inventory of my fridge and pantry I reconsidered.
This is basically a kicked up and colorful version of pasta aglio olio. One of the best things about this meal is that measurements don't have to be precise, and you can use whatever you have on hand- I would've thrown in spinach and pine nuts if I had any.

asparagus sundried tomato kalamata aglio olio
Boil up a box of spaghetti. Drain a jar of sundried tomatoes in olive oil, reserve oil. Mince 6-8 garlic cloves. Cut sundried tomatoesinto strips, cut up a bunch of asparagus into 2" pieces, julienne red pepper into 1/2" strips; Pit and chop up kalamata olives. Heat reserved sundried tomato oil in skillet, add minced garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Add asparagus and red pepper. Add 1 c. veg broth. Sautee until asparagus bright green Remove from heat add chopped olives. Drain spaghetti, add to sundried tomato mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan and toasted pine nuts.

No comments: