Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Crunchy Granola


It's been a while since I've been described as "crunchy granola". But back during my college days in the early to mid 90's, I had the de rigeur flannel shirt/baggy jeans/tattered sneakers. I saw no need for razors, or any other method of hair removal. And I was a real vegetarian (as opposed to a borderline one). That was long ago in a galaxy far away...... Now I'm a SUV drivin' Soccer Mom, I guess that's the natural progression from Grungy Granola Girl.
Feeling nostalgic for those good ole days I decided to make some crunchy granola. I was satisfied with the results, but Hubbabubba really liked it. He praised it for not being too sweet and at just the right crunch level. This is great recipe to just riff off of. Throw in the nuts and dried fruit of your choice, and bake to your level of done-ness. For maximum pleasure enjoy while wearing your old flannel shirt.

Crunchy Granola
Preheat oven to 325F. Butter a baking sheet.
In a big bowl combine 3 c. old fashioned rolled oats, 1c. slivered almonds, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon. In a small bowl stir together 2 tbsp. melted butter and 1/2 c.- 3/4 c. pure maple syrup and 1 tsp. vanilla or almond essence. Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and toss. Make sure dry ingredients are well coated. Spread evenly onto baking sheet and bake for about 30-45 mins until golden brown, stirring every once in a while so that it browns evenly. Once granola has cooled off add whatever dried fruits strikes your fancy. I decided on dried cherries and strawberries, next time I'm going to try dried apples and bananas.

No comments: